Sunday, March 1, 2009

Resting in Seattle

My first visit to the West Coast has been great! Seattle is so beautiful, cultural, and fun! It is definitely one of the top spots for someone like me... especially with the beautiful mountains, everyone eating organic and recycling, and it would probably get me more active, too (there are bike paths and running trails everywhere). I don't even have to mention the coffee!!!

It's a little over-the-top with the organic-ness, though. Here are a couple of stories that Mrs. Dyer told me:

This is the #1 or #2 (going back in forth with Minneapolis -- #1 now) most educated city in the nation. Yet, when it snowed, the mayor wouldn't let them salt the road, because the salt run-off might affect the salmon run. This is a city on the Pacific salt ocean. He also outlawed beach fires, because of the global warming effects. No joke.

There are also many liberal, liberal people and many hippies, which of course is normal for people in the world, but makes things a little more confrontational, if you're super-conservative. I passed a bumper sticker that said, "Born right... the first time!" and first thought it was a pro-life sticker, only to realize that it was a slam on people who say they're born-again. Having faith in Jesus is under fire here, but in some ways, I suppose that's good.

I went to church three times this weekend, and each time, let me tell you, it was good. I mean, I know not all the churches were like this, but there were lots of young people, and EVERYONE was getting into it, crazy for God. Seriously. Like I wasn't the lunatic, loud-mouth always waving the hands. It was really cool. Someone said to me, "Yeah, it's because it's hard to be a Christian here, so people are desperate for God." I am, too. I was definitely hit by God. I had a really funny/encouraging dream the first day I was here, too, which I may blog.

God has been hitting my heart and encouraging me in ways that I didn't expect that He would.

Love you all, and may you have a perfect sleep in Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alyssa,

    You are blogging again! Yay! So fun to hear about your time in Seattle. Sounds amazing, like a really really good weekend. I would like to go there with you and drink coffee someday :)

    See you tonight, maybe?! I love you!

    Char Char

    ReplyDelete